Monday, October 30, 2017

Life is really an unpredictable journey


Just this morning, I learned of a colleague's health condition. One day while working, she felt uncomfortable so she headed to the nearest polyclinic. On that same day, she got admitted and has been in and out of the hospital (to drain the water out of her lungs) ever since. This was weeks ago.

The diagnosis was stage 4 lung cancer. What was even shocking was the suddenness of it. There was not a single symptom or warning prior to the diagnosis. She has always been fine -doesn't smoke, happy-go-lucky etc which was why I was totally caught off guard by the news.

When I returned, I was told that one of the clients passed away.

Yup, all within the span of an hour.

As I type this with an extremely heavy heart, I can't help but ponder on the fact that life is really really unpredictable. You could be in a pink of health right now but the next health check-up may prove you wrong. You could be heading home after work just like any other day but you may not make it home. I am not dwelling on the negativity, or at least that was what I told myself. I am thinking, if any of these happens to me, what will happen? I admit, I am not ready to meet the Heavenly Papa in heaven yet. I know I have tons of goals unchecked on my list.

Now I know why people tend to avoid working with elderly. The grief work...is not an easy matter. The handling of emotions and the acceptance that death is part of life on earth -I am still trying to come to terms with it. I have some clients I am close with and I can't imagine receiving their negative news -the feeling will be like losing my grandparents all over again.


Will I be able to handle when the time comes?



Monday has officially been ruined...

No comments: