Sunday, August 26, 2018

Do I feel behind?


I’ve spent the better half of my life feeling just a little out of step.

When I was in secondary school, I consistently felt behind. I hit milestones behind all my other people. Adding to my chronological behindness, I was also just a little late to the game as far as catching a vision for post-polytechnic life. All my friends seemed to know they wanted to go to universities before I’d ever given it a thought. Everyone else had ideas about what they wanted to be, and I just wanted to take a nap.

I could copy their actions, but I didn’t quite get the gist of what was supposed to be coming next. Suddenly I was flooded with vision and ambition. I wanted to be a therapist. And if that doesn't works, I wanted to be in the media industry. I wanted to think about the future. And my life suddenly sped into hyperdrive.

I lived the next few years on fast-forward, a completely different person than I’d ever been. Before, I’d never thought about my career; suddenly I was daydreaming and mapping out ten-year plans. Earlier in life, if you’d asked me, I would have told you I don't really know. I am just going to try this this that that. But then everything was moving so fast, and I had a hard time keeping track of what was going on.

You can probably guess where this pattern went next. Suddenly I am thrown off course. Right now, I am back to where I am: square one. I mean like, there are so many of my peers out there who have already graduated with a degree (some already married!) while I am going back to being a full time student. Come on, I am probably going to be one of the older students around. How did I get so out of sync? Was behind the story of my life?

But you know what? It’s all good. I’ve learned this one thing about the Lord: He is always on time. And I’ve learned this about life: the ground beneath my feet is sacred, and it’s ground for Him to work and grow me.

In God’s kingdom, I am never behind or out of sync. I am always enough for the season He’s placed me in—because He is always enough, and He is always meeting the needs of His children.


No comments: